The Wedding Hat, Part 3

Since I have none of the stuff called buckram to stiffen the crown, the standy up bit, of the hat, I decided to use some of the 500 small cable ties I have instead. I taped to cable ties together at the ends, overlapping a bit, after chopping of the bulky bit, and curved it around inside the crown of the hat at the top, under the excess seam allowance (which I hadn't trimmed yet, although the instructions said to) and sewed down the seam allowance underneath it, securing it in its own little channel around the top of the hat. This stiffened the top and helped to hold it out.
This meant you could see the stitching on the outside, but since it held it out better, I thought this might be ok.

Then, I sewed the lining together, with a bigger seam allowance to make it smaller than the outside so that it fit in. I don't know how one was supposed to do this bit; I think it related to that remnants thing. I decided to reinforce the bottom edge of the hat with some cable ties too, and to make it simpler, I sewed over the cable ties with zig zag stitch attaching it to the lining.
I sewed ribbon onto the bottom edge of the outer layer of the hat, then folded it over to the inside and attached it to the lining. It all was looking very messy, because the lining didn't fit inside that nicely either. Then, because it kept slipping out of place, I had to do more top visible stitching to hold it in place, which was a shame. And then, the bottom cable ties somehow pushed outwards more than the top ones, so the top didn't sit as nice and flat as it had with only one. But oh well, no one will look that closely anyway I imagine. And I can't really do it again better because I am getting RSI (repetitive strain injury) or whatever it might be in both wrists again, and I don't want to do more hand sewing than I have to. I still have embroidery to do. And also, I don't want to do it again because I just want to get things finished and not have to worry about them. I have one week left before the wedding, and I want to get all the sewing done in the next three days and then do nothing.
Here is Plucky wearing the hat; this is the best view of it where the faults are not really visible.
I did fancy photoshop stuff and got rid of the messy background I am so clever.
Speaking of hats, apparently someone did a google search leading to my blog for "hattish". So there you go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction