Hat and Veil - the Fun Part

So, finally we have the veil. Not really that finally though, cos the whole thing didn't take long, and you are getting blog entries within months, if not days, of me actually doing it.
It turns out that the whole thing, when finished, looks very Turkish, or something like that.

I started with a big piece of sheer curtain material, maybe 2.5 metres long, or maybe it was 3. I hung it over the dress dummy's neck stump so it was only about to the waist at the front and draping on the ground at the back. It looked pretty good, so I curved the corner at the front on one side with a pair of scissors while it was hanging there, then laid it on the ground and cut the other one to match. And we were all done making the veil. I could hem it, but that seems like a lot of hemming of horrible material for that sort of thing, and it will probably end up worse than if I had left it.

Of course, then I had to join it to the hat. So I pinned it inside and went to have a look in the mirror, and it is cool, but the weight of it pulls the hat off. So I need someway of securing it. Eventually I decided I need to not have my hair loose like I had planned, but have it up in a bun or something and then use a hat pin to secure the hat on the bun. This will help hold it, and also the mere presence of the bun helps stop it slipping off backwards. I am also going to put some little loops of something inside the hat to put hair pins through to help stop it slipping sideways too. If it was just the hat, the hat pin would be enough, but the veil is quite heavy with all of it compared to the balancing power of the hat. I also need some much shorter hat pins. I might need to cut some down, but then I need to finish the end some way. I also sewed it onto the hat at some stage obviously, and put a couple of small tucks at the back where it joined to the hat to make more material hang towards the back than to the front, so that my face is not to obscured and it doesn't look too silly.

Onto the pictures.
Me, front. I think the hat will look less silly with the whole outfit, because the colour and material will match, making it fit in:
On the dummy (not me) so you can see the shape of the front hanging:
Me, side. I need a flatter bun. It also needs to be slightly lower actually, so that the hat sits better:
Side, dummy, for overall shape:
Me, back. The four sort of main folds, especially the centre two, are partially created by the tuck things:
It looks really cool sitting on the dress dummy, especially since I have tidied up the room a bit, but I had to take it off so G does not see it. Oh well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction