Bridesmaid's Dress - Part 1

I don't really have much to say about this dress, at least not in picture form, because I don't have many pictures as it doesn't fit on my dress dummy as it is, and I don't want to resize the dummy, because then I would have to resize it back for me.

However, I have a couple of things, such as material. Here, we have some lining material and two different curtain materials, stiffer and more opaque than the veil stuff; less netting and more like material. But kind of sort of plasticy. They didn't have any chiffon stuff at spotlight in the right colours when I went, except for $20/m or something, which would have made her dress cost more than mine as I would have needed at least 4 metres plus lining and zip, etc.
I was actually hoping the whole thing would be cancelled due to improper material so I could use it to make light two-layer curtains, as they worked well together, but unfortunately not.

I made an under-dress from the lining, which I made in a standard size 12 because I thought the measurements I had for her were too bizarre. I had a 1" seam allowance, but since I know she has a larger size bum than top half, sewed the bottom half with only 1/2" seam allowance.
Then, when she tried it on, low and behold, the top was way too big and the bottom still too small. So I overlocked the seams on the bottom half because I didn't have enough to reduce them further, and took 1" off each of the side seams - so 4" in total off the bodice section.
This is the lining section pinned on over the front of the dress dummy. The lining was made to give the outer dress something to attach to, and also because the material was a bit see-through if you held it up to the light.
Isn't that nice. Anyway, the final dress is in no way similar to that, which is probably somewhat of a shame. Oh, she wants to dress as a fairy, she is making wings and everything :) Why does no one believe us when we say this? Everyone agreed that it was fine early on, but now everyone is like, no, you can't let her wear wings. I don't see why not....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction