A Pair of Trousers

Before the wedding and all that, at Polytech we were drafting basic trouser blocks, and then had to make a design and make a pattern for that, and then we have to make up the pattern, to check it works out ok.
It seems a lot of people did something a bit like pajama trousers, or actually did do pajama trousers, whereas all the people I know and talk to did something a bit more complicated. I don't have a drawing of my original idea, which was not terribly interesting, so I shall describe it. Taking the basic trouser block, drop the waistline 2cm (from the actual waist) and put a yoke at the top, removing the darts, with a slightly larger yoke at the back than at the front, and make the trousers wider legged - instead of being shaped, the leg goes straight down from the hips.
Here is a boring picture of my pattern:
And here is 3 pictures of it made up in a one-way stretch knit synthetic crepe. I bought the material off trademe specifically to make trousers, mostly as there is 6m of it I think so there is still quite a lot left after one pair of trousers, so I wanted to use it. But we are not supposed to use knit fabrics because one is supposed to make patterns differently for knits. So I made it anyway and bought some more to make the one to hand in. Unfortunately you cannot see the second pair yet - because I had to hand it in, after finishing a bit of it at class. However they look better than this pair I think, because the material is stiffer, even though I thought a flowing material would look better. I don't think I really like the style of the yoke or something either, it is not flattering.
It was going to have patch pockets on the back, but I couldn't really be bothered, but I might still do them some time. The zip wasn't put in too good either; it is an invisible zip and I didn't really understand the instructions. I was also making it at my most ill these last two weeks - between the wedding and the little honeymoon - so I wasn't really in the mood for doing things properly or looking things up, just in getting them done.
Anyway, they're not too bad, it takes about 4 hours to make them perhaps, which is a long time really, given that if I made them to sell and charged myself $15/hour for labour, then for labour and materials, but no added profit, wear-and-tear on equipment, etc, I would have to sell them for $73, and that is only because I used quite cheap materials. The zip and facing on the yoke took an inordinate amount of time. I think the second pair took about 3 hours, partly because the material irons a lot better so things actually stayed in place after I ironed them there.

Blah blah blah, this entry sucks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction