The Pillbox Hat, Part Two

I didn't understand some of the instructions for my little hat, something about following the general instructions which said, abbreviated, to cut the pattern tissues for remnants and then pin them to the corresponding fabric remnant. And then later it talked about using pattern pieces it hadn't told me I needed in the list it gives you at the start, but which I think related to the remnant bit. So I don't get that bit. and instead of labeling the "remnant" pattern pieces normally, they draw the grainline outside the pattern piece beside it, for instance. Why do that? That's weird. So I'm ignoring that bit and making it up, as is generally necessary with patterns.
Still, here is the outer layer, the fashion fabric (the pattern also refers to the outer layer, or fashion fabric, as merely "the fabric". What about the lining, is that not also fabric? No, wait, that is "remnant", I think. Whatever. I think they need to spend a little longer explaining things.) Anyway, outer layer of fabric and interfacing, sewn together, inner and outer view, inner first :)


See, not that bad and relatively well sewn, and it is rather tricky sewing a rectangle to the edge of an oval, especially when the two edges don't seem to be quite the same length.

Oh, and that's another thing about this pattern. The seam allowances are marked on the pieces, and I measured them to see where I should sew and they are.... HALF and inch. Half an inch? That's great. My sewing machine has the presser foot edge at 1cm, a line at 5/8" and every 1/8" after that, and also ever half cm from 2 upwards, but not 1/2". So I have to sew trying to keep the material edge halfway between the presser foot edge and the 5/8" line. I measured it about 5 times in different places, but it was always NOT 5/8". So annoying. Since you trim the SA after sewing it anyway, why not just make it a standard measurement such as I have on my machine? Actually, there is a mark for 1/2", but it is a little line placed back beyond the presser foot towards the back of the machine, so is only useful for checking that the thing you just sewed was 1/2" from the edge, or not, and by then you have already sewed forward another inch already.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction