Bridesmaid's Dress - Part 2

I often think I should have better titles for these, but I either can't think of any, or I feel I should have descriptive ones so people know what they are about.

So, the fairy dress, right? The design is a handkerchief hem skirt, coming from under the bust, with gathered material over the bust, and straps of twisted material.

The skirt is made by getting squares of material and cutting a circle out of the middle. I used two layers in the different materials, and offset them so that the points hung in opposite places. I tried it on the dressmaker's dummy, and it made it look pregnant with the skirt starting just under the bust, and it looked better if I put the skirt at the waist, and better more if it was a bit below waist, I think.
See how this looks kind of nice:
And this one looks kind of weird:
But it looks better on the person. The bodice section looks nice here though, although in the finished item it is all gathered and so more puffy and less folded in a modern pseudo-messy kind of way. But I didn't really think about that until I looked just now at the pictures, unfortunately. She commented at the "fitting" we needed to make her look less like the little mermaid. And although I knew what she meant, the little mermaid doesn't seem to look like that.
It also looks a lot better when the underbust line gets pulled in tighter than it is here on the dummy, making it more like a high waist giving it more definition and shape.
Anyway, I hate this silly dress. Hopefully it will be all good when she wears it. The general rule is: if something doesn't look good, put it on a skinny person :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction