My Weekend - Gardens and Corsets

So this weekend I didn't feel like writing 4 blog entries in preparation for the coming week like I did last weekend. But we'll see what happens in the next 1.5 hours. It would be a lot easier and more fun if the right shift key on this keyboard didn't only work intermittently. It hardly ever works when I try to do a capital 't', but I'm not sure if that's just pretty much the only letter I capitalise with the right hand. Other than 'i'. I think it is just the shift key that is breaking, stupid shift key.

This weekend, what did I do?

Garden
Well, I cut the lawn a little on both days, with the scythe, and now it is a lot shorter, and a lot flatter. I think I am getting better though. The lawn looks a lot bigger now as well without all the grass. G and I also cleared the sticks off at some point, maybe that was last weekend and I already talked about it? Anyway, from when the hedge and stuff was cut, there were sticks all over the grass. Actually, they were under the grass by now, with a metre (3') of grass growing up around and over it.
I looked at my plants, and now that the grass is shorter I can start to dig up a bit of it to plant my pumpkins and corn, ha ha. They should be amusing to grow. The beans are finally sprouting too, and there are some green tomatoes, and as many as 3 zucchini seem to be growing! Finally, on about 4-5 plants....

Corset
The other main thing I did was making the corset that I will be wearing over my dress at my wedding. So part of the dress. My family is clever and knows enough to ask whether it was going over or under my clothes - because of course corsets are historically underwear.
The one I am making is on this page at Mode Historique (one of my favourite costume sites and I think the first I found from which I found the others), and you can see the pattern in this picture (whenever I look at the picture I remember I have forgotten to put in the bones across the top of the front.... Must remember to do that), which is linked to near the bottom of the aforementioned page also.

On this I put the boning in, and spent a couple hours of sewing eyelet holes, and made bias binding, and spent hours sewing it around the edge. I reckon about 3-4 hours to go. I had already done the pattern and cut it out and sewed the boning channels the last couple of weeks and mostly finished one back section. I think it is actually going to work, which will more or less be a first in that area. Things working I mean. It is 100% hand sewn. I would post pictures and description of the process, but theoretically G is not supposed to see it and stuff, and the funnest bit is seeing pictures isn't it. But I have a plan so you shall probably get to see it soon anyway. And perhaps I could still put pictures of the construction?, he has mostly seen that anyway. He just hasn't seen me trying it on for test-fitting. It is made from the more gold-coloured material. I still need to get some ribbon or something for the lacing. I forget what else I was going to say here.

I keep wanting to cut out the material for the dress and see if that actually works out, plus because I love the material and it should be so cool to look at when it is all together. But, I can't cut it out until I have finished the corset so I can see how it fits over my test dress and see if there are adjustments to be made. If you don't remember the material, these are them. Once again, they look better in real life.
The orange actually looks totally cool when I pin it randomly to the dress dummy, it is just amazing. When I finally find the battery charger for the digital camera batteries I will charge the batteries and take a picture of the draped material so you can get an idea. Seriously, it is so amazing
So hopefully soon I can start on the next step and that should be fun :). Probably I will want to have it all set up on my dress dummy as I go, like I did with my Polish costume, so I can look at it all the time, but then G might have to be forbidden from coming downstairs at all in case he sees.

(ps. I wrote 3 and a bit entries, but they aren't very good I think. I am not feeling inspired. Seems like too much work to write anything that requires referencing something or specific details)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction