Lounge Trousers

For my sister for Christmas we were going to get her some cool PJ's and a robe and slippers (actually, 2 of the 3, but we were undecided which) from Ezibuy, a mail-order catalogue, and they were pretty cool, but then we got her something else and I made her a new wallet. I was going to get a picture of the wallet but I forgot again until I had already wrapped it up. It looked cool and only took about 3-4 hours to make including making some bias binding and hand-sewing it on. I was actually a bit disappointed it took so little time, so we bought her something else too. It wasn't as much of a labour of love as I was imagining :)

Anyway, I think the pyjama idea stuck in my head somewhat because then we saw some lounge pants in a shop, like pyjama pants for lounging around in, and they came in their own matching bag. And so I decided I should make some. Undoubtedly it would have been easier and maybe even cheaper to buy them, but whatever. We went shopping to get some material, and I found this amazing but fairly thin and fragile-seeming cotton. We needed 2.5 metres at about $16/m or something, with is why it might have been cheaper to buy the actual article (but I actually ended up with quite a bit left over, because of the fact that we needed a lot length-wise but there was a fair amount spare down the side, yay, so I get that... ). There were various colours, and some different flower motifs, most of them containing various shades of one colour, but we went with this one:
Which is pretty cool. It is very soft too.

So after her coming around for me to measure her, because she couldn't send me her own measurements, I then proceeded to make a slightly different size as it seemed that otherwise they would be ludicrously huge, no matter what the pattern packet said - never trust the packets, always measure the pieces instead. They usually include enough ease for you to slip an elephant in there with you. So I just made simple pyjama trousers, a 2-piece pattern, with a drawstring waist.

The pattern was "Simplicity So Easy 5381", which isn't available anymore. I just looked at the other "So Easy" patterns, and they don't contain so much stuff, I think this one was trousers, singlet and sweatshirt. Most of the patterns there now are only 1 or 2 different items. I may update this with a pic of the packet if I can ever charge the digital camera.

This is what they look like hanging up.
Pretty exciting eh? They are more interesting when someone is wearing them I suppose.
I was going to make the singlet too but I realised that it had to made out of stretch material, so I didn't. The matching bag was a rectangle of material folded in half and sewn up with a drawstring top. I have lost half of the instructions for the pattern, including all those for the actual trousers, so I didn't know how I was supposed to work the drawstring and get it to the outside so you could do it up, so I decided to do two buttonholes at the centre front and have them come out through there. The bag was done the same.
And I got some pretty flower patterned ribbon, which wasn't quite what I was looking for, I wanted something softer and wider, but there wasn't anything in the right colour. But this is nice with the flowers, as a matching motif.
I felt a bit guilty with so much spare material, and I wanted something more and since I couldn't do the singlet I made a simple scarf out of a long cylinder of material, you know, for fun.

You really can't appreciate the material unless you feel it though, it is so thin and soft. And warm feeling with a slightly rough-fluffy surface. And what a great happy colour pattern. Anyway, I was quite happy with that, and I quite like it as a gift too. You know how sometimes you aren't really happy with what you give someone, and sometimes you are?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction