Doublet Material

Recently I bought this material from The Stitchery. I saw it there months ago when I first went there, and always intended to buy it, and to probably make a doublet I think. Even though I don't yet have time to make it, I thought I should go back and buy it in case I never get around to it and it goes or something. I think it is about $34/metre, so I got the minimum that I thought would work, which I think was 0.7m.
It is actually double thickness and, as you can see, reverse colours on the other side. So now I can't decide which colour to have on the outside, and whether to line it and so on. I think to make such a structured garment as a doublet it will need to be lined, but I can have the facing and collar in the reverse colour so it still gets seen. I intend to modify an historically accurate doubet pattern and design to make something practical and not too odd looking. The main desire for such a garment comes from wanting a nice-looking sleevless garment that is also warm. Most sleeveless warm garments are very casual and not nice looking so don't work with skirts and dresses and generally nice clothes. And sometimes you need something without sleeves because either your sleeves are really nice or interesting or you want to look more layered, or your sleeves are too large and loose to fit nicely under another item of clothing that has sleeves, like a coat.
When I start looking at actually making it I will post pictures of resources and what I intend to do.
This second picture is intendedto help show how the material hangs, ie. like a board - it is not really thick, but feels slightly padded and as you can see would not flow or move much and would have to be used in a structured garment. Or something like cushions or other house-y type stuff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction