Yellow Coat and Multi-tasking House-wifery

Once again, Traci has outdone you all with a wonderful comment. She made the excellent point, "WANT THIS COAT". You can see this comment attached to one of the earlier posts. The coat in question which she links to is this one:
found here at the auction site I was talking about, where there are more pictures.
I think she is completely right, I also want this coat, and I thought I should share it with everyone else. It is just so awesome and bright and colourful and happy, and I think it would make anyone happy just looking at it. Even if you don't really like yellow. So now I intend to make one some day, maybe. I will keep an eye out for suitable yellow material, and if I find it I will know I am supposed to make the coat. I am not sure about the white embroidery detail yet, I presume that will become clear to me if I am destined to make it.

Not only do I like the actual coat, I think it would probably actually suit me as well. Strangely, yellow is supposed to suit me, my Mum also, but of course no one ever wears this colour because it is too frightening. Mum actually bought something bright yellow I think and it DID suit her. We discovered the interesting "yellow is supposed to suit us" fact in a guide to suitable colours in my 1950's sewing book Mum bought me for christmas 2 years ago. We spent the morning trying to work out which one each of us was supposed to be and whether we thought it was right in its colour choices. I have general sewing books from 1954, 1964 and 1984, although the last two are later reprints or editions. The 1954 one is amusing because it talks of things like the value of setting up a nice sewing and sitting room combined so your friends can all come over with their sewing and chat and sew at once, and how it is also useful if you are easily able to get to the sewing room and kitchen and back so you don't waste any time while waiting for water to boil or something while making dinner when you could be catching up on a bit of sewing too. Multi-tasking house-wifery.

Anyway, another reason the coat should suit me is because it is a-line and I have a slightly disproportionately large "ass".
I quite like the collar, how it looks like it comes from inside the coat, and how it is somewhat fitted and plesantly proportioned. I even like the pointless fake belt at the back, and I normally hate non-functional decoration that looks like something functional.

ps. I don't know about the idea of having matching coat and dress, but the dress that goes with the yellow coat is actually growing on me as well, although I didn't like it at first. It must be made of a fairly hefty material for a dress, which could be interesting, and would help it keep it's nice shape. I like the perfectly formed front panel too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction