Victorian Update - Hattish Activities

Last night I decided to take a break from the Victorian dress sewing and try and make my Victorian hat. The hat was going to be the last thing I did as it is not as essential as, say, having a skirt. So far it is very weird. I spent about 3 hours on it last night, including planning (sort of), measuring (kinda) and cutting and sewing and considering. (A lot of time is taken up in most sewing projects with "considering"; this is where you look at the item and possible do the same experimental things several times over without actually making any progress, probably not even with ones thoughts on the subject).
First, look at this picture that I got from somewhere that came out of a magazine. See, the hat is very small. The hat-thing I should say.I do not know how to actually make a hat, nor have I made one before. In fact, the two are kind of related. If I had made hats before I would know how, and if I knew how I'm sure I would have made some. I once looked at a hat making book, but all I can remember is that it seemed very easy, but there was also something where I thought - "that's a good idea!". So although it is theoretically easy, there is a neat trick that I can't remember.
Now, this is my little hat basis from several angles. It is a lining (not attached yet) and an outer layer sewn up together with the thickest interfacing I had. It (the hat) is tiny-little. I need to kind of iron it so that the seams are sharper, somehow, as well as bind the brim edge, thus attaching the lining to the outside layer without losing any width on the brim, which somehow ended up super-tinier than intended even. Then, I will smother it with ribbons and stuff so you can't even tell it is a hat anymore. There is also a picture of the inside of the shell (outer layer) and of it with my hand... Tiny, little. I can't say that this seems reasonable, but then I refer to the picture above, and to other pictures that seem to have small hats.
The actual colour is the darker blue andit is made out of pieces of material I have that are too small to go in the regular material boxes and bags, but too big for the scraps bag, and far too big for the "stuffing scraps" bag. I need to go buy some ribbons and random bits of decoration soon, hopefully tomorrow :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction