Princess Seam Princess Bride

What is the first thing that comes into your head when someone says that there is the possibility to go over to someone's house and watch a movie you've seen several times and own yourself? Why, we should go I'll make a costume, of course!

I looked though our Princess Bride DVD for everything that she wears in it and drew some little pictures too. Although there was one outfit that I would rather have made, I really had very limited choice because I don't keep large pieces of material on hand. I have a lot of material, but of each individual fabric I only have a small quantity. Except for a small number of pieces bought for a specific purpose, and a couple that are "utility" pieces - frequently useful and not needing to be any specific colour. Although I do need more white linen to keep on hand - frequently useful for folk costume shirts and any historical underwear that might be visible at all, or simply to be more correct.
Anyway, I had to choose a dress not involving too much material in a colour I sort of had. Which turned out that I am making a pretty dress out of dusky pink suiting. Not the ideal material perhaps, but I think it might work. The pink almost suits me a bit too, which doesn't happen with pinks. Don't know what I shall do for the sleeves though, as I don't have anything similar to in the movie. I think she only wears this dress for one 10 second scene in the movie, so it might not be immediately recognisable...
(I wonder if I can set the dictionary for blogger, so that it doesn't keep underlining "colour" as being spelt wrong. And "spelt". What's wrong with the word spelt? I thought that was a word. Is it supposed to be spelled? It refuses to accept "practise" as a word either, only allowing "practice". And it doesn't like 's's. Prefers 'z's.)
The dress is princess seamed, which is where the shaping is done using curved pieces rather than pieces with straight darts. And they are very annoying to sew. However, I have been wanting to do a block for princess seams, so that is kind of handy. I used my big patternmaking book to modify my bodice block, and fitted it a few times, and it actually seems to have worked. It mostly worked straight off, except for excessive space on the back, from too much curve on the back piece. I don't know that my bodice block is really that correct though, so I don't know if the error came from working for a bad starting point or from something I did.
At some point I also want to make my own dress dummy - make a fitted thing out of material and then stuff it with foam and cushion stuff. This pattern is quite good, or at least better than my bought dummy for the area it covers, but it only goes to the waist, I would need to do something for the waist, and I need to do something to divide the bust.

Now I need to decide if I actually make the dress, or if now that I've made the pattern that I wanted, and since the dress is not really THAT interesting, there isn't any point.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction