Houndstooth Corset, Part 4 - Construction

I won't go into too many details about construction really, as there are various ways to do these things, and a million steps in a a variety of different orders. I made myself a big list of everything to do and in what order, about 20 things, and then partially followed it.
Here's a picture for reference for this post.

I cut out the other two layers and sewed them at the seams. I folded over the front and back ends of the inner layer and overlocked them and sewed them down as more boning channels, and cut strips of material and sewed them on next to these, but over a bit, to make the channels that go down the other side of the laces. I cut of the excess material at the bottom and sewed along the bottom to seal the channels. I remembered about the waist tape, that helps stop it stretching along the bit with the most stress on it, and sewed it on just in the seams and at the ends, which I just realised means that at the seams means it is essentially sewn onto nothing but other stitching, going between the two pieces of material, but I think it will be fine. All was good.

Then, I had to sew all the three layers together. Well, I probably didn't have to, but I did. This was a big pain and next time I am doing something different somehow. I lined them up and pinned them together and tried to stitch down the seam lines of all three pieces at the same time, which meant that where it wasn't lined up EXACTLY - most places - the stitches wandered about a bit. So the inside is a bit ugly in some places, and the channels in two cases got sewed into so I had to do some clever things and fix them up again.

Then we were all ready for the binding and the bones and the eyelets. And then we would be finished! Except that these three things aren't necessarily that simple.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction