Latest Puchase - Velvet

Arrived from Trademe a couple of days ago was this, although this is after I had opened it and then put it back in again. See the big parcel that goes up higher than the door handle?And in it were my two lots of velvet. One is a synthetic dark purple, as shown in this really bad photo.
The top part of the photo is the back, but it shows the type of purple that it is, although the lightness/darkness and the actual colour don't show, and I myself have only seen it in indoors light in the evening, so it is probably different in day light too. It is all synthetic-y, but there is lots and lots of purple, which is good and pretty. There is 6m. I bought 3, but because it was tied too tightly then it has got big creases and so she gave me 6m instead - after consulting me of course. Oh yeah, the purple is also a stretch material.

The other one is this dark red kind of colour.
It looked more brown in the indoor light at the time, but in the photo is more reddish, which I think is more like its actual colour. See how it photographs so much better, even though the photographs were taken in the same way in the same place, and they are about as dark as each other? Maybe it is because this one is a cotton, or something anyway because it feels much rougher on the underside, and warmer, and the top side feels nicer, and the colour is different.

So now I have to work out what to do with them, as I have never sewn velvet before, and don't know how to look after it or anything either. I have wanted some for a long time as it is a type of material I didn't have, and it just seemed I should sew some things out of it. I also don't normally like stretch or knit materials, but then there are some clothes I want to copy that are stretch. One of them is a nice velvet(een) dress that is a bit short for normal wear, so I might make a longer copy out of the purple, that would be good. And even though it is a synthetic stretch velvet, since there is a lot of it, some historical stuff like a Victorian bodice would be good too. I don't know about the red/brown. It is really nice so I need to do something good. I think there is 3m though so I can do a few things.

Actually, here we go, it is 2.8m of Reideck Made in Germany non-stretch cotton velvet maroon/claret. Normally retails $30-$40/m, I got it for $14. According to the email from her. I will also need to make a corset with the velvet as the fashion fabric, although I think this is obvious as all materials pretty much need to be made into a corset. Bizarrely the purple cost me $30, for a theoretical 3m (compared to the normally more expensive one for half the price). It is 92% polyester, 8% spandex, 150cm wide, 2-way stretch. The auction said "woven velvet has a low cut pile with lovely sheen and drape", which is true, it looks really nice, but when you touch it or look at the back or the thickness of it it seems inferior, which is interesting (how it can be tacky in one sense and beautiful in the other).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction