Cooking to Music

Do you listen to music while cooking? I always used to when cooking because I cooked more complicated and involved foods more often, when I didn't have to go to work too. And this seems to encourage music listening. Now I sometimes do, generally on the days that G comes home late whereas I do not. Then I blare out the music and cook one of the slightly more involved dishes, like the lasagne today which had a layer of butter-fried chicken, mushroom and wine, and another layer of spinach, courgette, eggplant and pasta sauce. So essentially I had to prepare and cook two meals simultaneously and then combine them into one dish with layers of pasta (and cheese on top). Plus, there was an awful lot of it.

I tend to listen to music like Marilyn Manson and Disturbed, which amuses me because cooking is so, domestic, and not - whatever that kind of music brings to mind. Sometimes I made it interesting and blared out Dvořák, "From The New World", instead.

What I'd like to do is make myself a nice 1950's housewife dress, and wear that while listening to Marilyn Manson and cooking dinner.
See what you think of the juxtaposition:
Good isn't is?
The dress picture is from here. The MM picture is probably from an album or something, so I won't credit the random blog.

I do find that it is harder to cook with loud music however, because I cannot hear the cooking. I don't know when the water is boiling or how hard things are frying and so forth. And not hearing them I forget about them a bit too, so they tend to get neglected. I didn't realise how much I "cooked by ear" until I started listening to super-loud music and couldn't hear it.
(I also have to keep going to check if people are breaking into the house or something, because I'll think that I hear or feel something, and have to go and see if it was OUR front door, or the neighbours or whatever. It is surprisingly difficult to tell, even in a quiet house, but under normal circumstances I could then listen for footsteps or whatnot. I also can't tell the difference in many cases between a noise and a vibration, if it is a thump or a door-slam or something. I don't know if other people have this problem.)

So, someone, perhaps multiple people, HAS to leave a comment answering at least one of these things:
  1. what music do you listen to, if any, when cooking? This is the interesting one.
  2. do you ever have trouble determining whether you just heard a sound or instead felt a vibration? This is just me trying to find out whether this is weird or not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction