Victorian Bodice - First Steps

I thought I would make a new post here rather than simply continuing the old one.

In the weekend I drafted my bodice (ie. thing I wear as the top layer on my top half in the Victorian costume). It went well, and pretty much fits straight off. Except it is rather tight around the shoulders and arms, because that's how things are with me. But I will just live with it because it is too hard for me to work out to fix it, and I might get thinner before then... It works if I don't move much, but I think that works, because Victorian ladies probably weren't throwing their arms around all over the place and so on anyway. I made up the lining with pins, then sewing it, trying it on each time and deciding not to change anything. I have some pictures but then the digital camera ran out of batteries. It was a pain trying it on because I had to put the corset on each time too. I have just started sewing the outer layer. It will be awesome.

It is based on the pattern from this 1880's bodice. I got the pattern from there, which she made from an original item she owns. Mine however has a v-shaped neckline, no tabs around the bottom, sleeves that widen to just past the elbow and then will have big kind of ruffle-frills, and a little tail like in these pictures, from the same site. If you scroll down there is a better picture than the ones at the top. But the tail on mine will be a bit different and probably look stupid. I think it will be too long.

If you go back to the first Victorian dress post in my blog, I think there is a picture of what I am trying to do, but because of the way the pattern was, I am making the tail instead of just wide tabs at the bottom over the skirt. And cos that looks cool.

I will post some pictures of what I am doing after the weekend. Maybe it will even be finished by then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction