Bespoke Tailoring

The most interesting thing I have found recently has got to be this blog by a bespoke Savile Row tailor - The English Cut. The sad people that you are, I bet you aren't even slightly interested! He talks about the world of bespoke tailoring, what makes a good suit and his own business.
For some reason, I think this is the most interesting and amazing entry. Look at that beautiful shoulder seam! I've always been vaguely interested in tailoring and at some point will actually make myself a jacket, but I am currently too scared. It seems so much more difficult than making other things. I also have no idea really how these things are supposed to look or fit. Given that you can buy an absolutely awful, badly made, entirely synthetic jacket from some of the women's clothing shops in town for $300 (even on special), I should be able to make myself both a jacket and trousers out of really nice material (eg. $50/m) and still end up spending less money. The suit is in my head - it is quirky and colourful and striped - but I can't make it until I make a practice jacket first. And I only have a million other things to make. And I really have no idea how to create the style of jacket that is in my head.*
The londonlounge is an interesting forum about men dressing well that I found a link to on the previously discussed blog. If you want to know where to get the best men's cashmere-lined kidskin gloves or the ideal width of a dress belt versus a casual belt, this is the place to find out. Everyone can spell and has a vocabulary of more than 20 words. I love places like that.

*I don't know how other people think, but there isn't a single concrete concept in my head. I don't know how anything I imagine looks or sounds or what colour it is or anything like that, it is just a concept. I have a suit concept. I know it has stripes, and colours. I'd know it if I saw something like it, but that's about as much description as I have. I can feel the way that someone looks when they move in it. I know the image they project. I can find the material by looking until I see the right one, but making a pattern is tricky because I have no concrete idea of what the thing is I have to make. Unfortunately all my thoughts are like this - I have no idea what anything looks like and couldn't describe most of the things I see every day and it makes it difficult getting ideas into the real world. I'm not sure if other people "see" things in their imagination or not. Do you get any concrete visual information if you imagine something. eg. imagine a woman doing cartwheels in a skirt. Can you describe her, the background, her clothes? On a slightly different note, if you talked to a stranger for a minute or two, then they went out of view (say you turn around) would you be able to identify them 30 seconds later in a group of 4 people? (Assume you pay as much attention as you normally do.) I can generally remember the person's gender. That's about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction