Posty Postyness

I thought maybe I should do a post a day until the end of my holidays, thus catching up on all the non-posting that has been happening. I've been busy reading stuff on Live Journal (if there weren't so many talented people in the world I wouldn't have this problem) and also I have a new forum I really like that I've been posting to instead.

This is what I wore to my work-do; we went to the races. I've been wanting to make a 50's dress for a while, and this seemed like a good opportunity; races are a good opportunity to dress feminine, even if it is just your average boring horse races. Obviously I needed a new thing to wear since it was an EVENT. And all EVENTS need new clothes. It's the meaning of life. Generally planning and making the clothes is more fun than the EVENT itself.
First off, I drafted a new bodice pattern and made a mock-up. It worked great. I copied and modded the pattern so I could make something like a rereleased pattern I had a picture of. Since I needed a circle, or nearly circle skirt, I knew I'd need a lot of material. So I used second-hand sheets I'd bought specially to make dresses out of. No reason to actually pay lots to get real material.
Here were my material options.
I decided to use the yellow for the top layer, dark brown for the underskirt that I was having instead of a petticoat, light brown for edging.
The brown underskirt was also the lining for the bodice. I used a 3/4 circle for the skirt.
And this is how it ended up. The neckline and skirt are edged in the lighter brown, and ribbons are the straps. This is it lying on the bed. Maybe I'll take a better picture on the dress dummy or something.
I made this hat out of some material someone gave me because they were moving overseas (I got a box of material and the best way to appreciate it is to use something immediately), modifying a pattern we used in Industry Skills class to be more cloche-like (in a way) because that's what I wanted.
I also wore these gloves (which I didn't make).
The are more brown, but the flash has made them funny-looking.

Comments

aynz said…
Cute hat and lovely dress! I really wish I could make dresses as it would solve many a summer problem but skirts seem the most I can handle, primarily because of the hassle involved in getting a pattern that would fit me. If only I had you on hand to help. *sigh*

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction