Christmas Wreath and Tree

G doesn't like buying Christmas trees and stuff, and last year we didn't have one. It was very sad. So this year, we didn't go and buy one early enough, and I didn't want to wait any longer so on Tuesday evening I made one out of three small branches from a tree in the yard. It is very sad looking. It is about as high as the mantle piece. The cat was initially scared of it, but now she likes getting the decorations out of the bucket holding the tree. I need some lights for it because I love the lights.
A few years ago I made something better. A wreath. I seem to be completely incapable of using any medium other than fabric for any activity, and it took me a long time to get even remotely good at that. I had tried to make wreaths out of branches, etc, but it didn't work (and the bases you can buy are ridiculously expensive) and I found inspiration and instructions for one of fabric. One doesn't really need instructions, which is good because they were either wrong or impossible to understand; they required you to turn inside-out a shape which was topologically impossible to turn inside-out without resorting to the use of at least four dimensions instead of the measly three.
Since Christmas is in summer here I wanted it to be kind of summery and thus cheerful and reminding of life. The colours I associate with summer are yellow, red, orange and a dark, healthy green; light green is more spring, whereas mature leaves are darker. Then it's got ribbons, fake roses, old buttons, buttons shaped like summery things, and a random piece of jewellery I bought from an op shop: I think it's a broach with two parts and a chain between.

Comments

aynz said…
You need to tell that man of yours that he can be as ba-humbug as he likes as long as you're allowed a tree. You HAVE to have a tree. Next year just go all out. Remind him that with Xmas less is not more. ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction