Hoodie Present

Since Christmas was about 6 months ago now, I thought maybe I should get round to posting something about it.
I made lots of presents for people.
I made my brother a hoodie, but like everything I make it turned out way too big; it was supposed to be over-sized, but it ended up huge. I haven't seen him wear it :(
I pretty much copied the pattern from one of G's hoodies, just took the measurements and made the pattern. We made a zip-front hoodie in the industrial sewing class I made, so I know the general idea how to make one, and I copied the little triangle of ribbing from the commercial one - I quite like that feature, it adds stretch at the neck so you don't damage that section messing with the hood etc. I'm pretty sure I used tape on the shoulder seams, and maybe the hood-neck seam, to stop stretching .
How to use tape on shoulder seams: get some non-stretchy woven tape and cut to correct shoulder seam length. Pin it to/lay it on (as per your normal sewing practise) the seam and simply sew it down as you sew the seam. You may have to ease the shoulder seam to the length of the tape if your seam has already started stretching, like it does for me. Voila! No shoulder seams that get longer and longer.

I originally bought matching ribbing for it, but I couldn't bear to use it because the quality of it was just so poor it was painful to even think of sewing with it (and I am not a particularly quality oriented person when it comes to my materials) so I went an bought some more and this was the closest colour of good stuff I could get - which I think ended up looking really cool actually.


The hood is lined in a cool samurai printed knit that I also once made a kind of singlet top from.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction