July's Goal

Last month's goal was to study Polish for at least 30 minutes a day, which I pretty much achieved except 2 days when I was out too much (work + out in the evening + no time in the morning before work) to do so. But some days I did 1 hour, so hopefully that makes up for it. So I achieved my goal. I think that's the first time I have achieved an explicit goal (despite endless "goal-setting" classes and exercises at school), so that's pretty weird/exciting. I think I see how it works now. Sort of. It might be the first time I've wanted something enough to have it work, but I think there's more to it than that, but I don't know what.
I'm not sure how much I learnt (of Polish), as there's no way to really measure the amount of knowledge currently stored in your head on any given subject. You could do some kind of test, but I have no test handy, and how would you know you had tested for everything you know? I can't explicitly remember any Polish other than the word for car - samochód (masculine) - right now, but presumably in the appropriate situation I would remember more. I don't know if I'll ever be able to speak it though; I always had trouble speaking foreign languages, although I've only really tried to speak them in situations where I would also have trouble speaking English so it's not really that surprising.
The point of this post, originally, was that now I need a new every-day-for-a-month goal. I'm not sure what to choose. (I'll continue doing the Polish of course, but I need a new one too.)
Suggestions will be taken, and probably ignored until I remember them next week and claim I came up with them. You may join me with your own every-day-for-a-month goal if you want. Assuming I come up with something before the end of the month.

Oh yeah, one other thing I finally did is set up the use of the Polish keyboard on my work computer. I discovered, after finally looking it up, that I already knew how to do it, and the mechanism for switching between keyboards was intimately familiar to me from past experiences.
The weird thing is how it keeps switching back to the normal English (well, probably American?) layout by itself. It happens when I change windows I think, and also at random times when it particularly feels like it. Since "Polish (Programmers)" keyboard is like my normal layout but with special key combinations available, I might as well have it like that all the time. I guess maybe I can make it the default, but I'm not sure if there might be weird side effects.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction