Why I (heart) Vista, Part 4

One of the best things about working with computers all day is the exciting things that happen ALL THE TIME, as fellow computer users will surely know.

For the last 2 weeks, every day I arrive at work and my computer complains that it has an IP address conflict with another computer on the network, even though this is, in fact, impossible. Sometimes my network and internet access will work fine - despite the "issue" - and sometimes it won't.

At least once a day, Windows Explorer will suddenly crash. Explorer is the thing that you view files and navigate folders in and as well it makes the start bar happen and probably many other things. In previous versions of windows at least, it was also tied to IE, the web browser, so a crash in one could take down the other. What am I doing when Explorer crashes? Oh, something like changing from one folder to another usually. Nothing particularly interesting or intensive.
When it restarts, it restores maybe about half of the little icons into the task bar by my clock. I never can remember which ones are missing, I just know there are less down there, so I don't know if the programs themselves are not running or if just the icons are missing.

At least twice a day, one of the two main programs I use to do my job - Microsoft Expression Blend - will crash during a perfectly routine action, like opening a file, or editing a file; editing and interpreting a particular type of file essentially being it's reason for existence.

50% of all times I start up Internet Explorer (which is very very seldom, ie. when I need two browsers for some reason or to do something that only works in IE) it will either crash or refuse to navigate to any pages.

Whenever I am away from my computer for longer than an hour (or is it 45 minutes?), it (sorta kinda) logs me out. This is acceptable, but why does it need to reset the f-lock key on my keyboard so that I keep pressing F5 and F12 and wondering why the hell it's not working; it should remember this setting somehow. It may be the keyboard's fault rather than Vista, but guess who made the keyboard?

That is all for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction