Artichokes and an Asian Food Shop

I cooked an artichoke today. Unfortunately it was too old, so most of it was inedible. Stupid supermarket. They often sell things that are not really fit for sale. In some cases however, with exotic things, I suspect it is because no one has a clue what they are supposed to be like. Sometimes the staff cannot even identify them when you get to the checkout :lol:
But otherwise the artichoke was good - the edible bits were nice and I understand it now so if I find more I can get them and try them. I have concluded, from my dissection of it, that it is a giant thistle head. Well, not actually a thistle I guess, but the same type of plant. Pretty cool. I am eager to get more. This is my new obsession.

Today we went to the Asian food shop (like a small supermarket/large dairy) near my work. Why did I not go there before?! I love Asian food shops because they smell yummy and are filled with exciting things. I am wondering if there are any cooking classes in Asian food at the high schools that do evening classes so I can find out more on how to use some of the interesting ingredients. It is such a waste to have this awesome advantage, and some of the food is so cheap too :D I bought 250g of cumin seeds for $4!! (That is the same cost as a coffee from the cafe downstairs in my work building). That is good value! 100g of coriander seeds for $2 I think. We also got some roasted barley tea because they give you that in the Japanese restaurants, and it is quite nice as well as being very drinkable with no ill effects like some drinks seem to give me. I could drink it all day. Unfortunately they are giant tea bags like go in a teapot, so I can't use them at work like I wanted. :(
They also sell kimchi, for Korean food, so we don't have to make a special trip to the other shop for it, and Chinese dumplings, so I don't have to worry about using up all the yummy ones I have at the moment. They are probably the same ones - I got the others at the market.
Here's an awful picture of the purchases:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction