Sore Arm While Writing Exams

Please answer this question for me in the comments (which you can do by clicking at the bottom of this post on whatever it says there that has to do with comments).

When you do/did exams with a length of 1.5 hours or more (eg. up to 3 hours because that's the longest I've done) with a majority of written answers, did your arm start to hurt? And if so, was it sufficient for you to leave the exam early, attempt to write with your left hand or waste time sitting there not writing in an attempt to have the pain dissipate? Something I read today made me think that perhaps this is not normal. If you answer yes, please also say whether your writing is/was considered messy or illegible (although, everyone says their writing is messy, so I'm not sure this is a useful piece of information).

Comments

Anonymous said…
Its been quite some time since I sat a lengthy written exam (or any exam for that matter) but I didn't have any problem writing essays during my final years at school, and the vast majority of my university exams were in the hard sciences - so no long essays.

I think that this was because I was used to writing, whereas now I know that I would have more difficulty simply because I hardly do any writing at all anymore (computers having effectively killed that particular skill).

My hand writing has been described as "neat but illegible" :-)

On the other hand, one of my friends (John) did have a lot of trouble writing essays whilst at school - not sure if he had any actual pain, but his writing was always very slow and messy.
thursdays child said…
being that you are not one to whine at the first twinge of pain but push through - I think this is a bigger problem. It could be as simple as a bad position causing extra stress/strain on your wrist/arm/elbow etc or it could be something else.

I would get cramps but I don't remember ever stopping to alleviate pain. (tho I used to take 5 minutes to think about each passage). I also tried REALLY HARD not to push too hard - its easy to get into it and instead of letting the pen flow along the page, you apply extra pressure which can cause pain.

hope it isn't anything really serious!

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction