Magpie Moth Caterpillar Bustle, Part 1 - Concept

I wanted to make a larger bustle for Victorian dresses requiring more of a "bum". I got lots of pictures of those available from the pattern companies and a few I found on online auction websites. I am going to make a wired one at some point, but I thought it might be quicker to go with this one first:
(The image is from this great page comparing the different bustle patterns from various companies.)
G remarked that the bustles in general looked like caterpillars crawling over someone's bum! To me this obviously meant that I should try and make MY bustles look like caterpillars. I did a bit of caterpillar research. (Click on the image for a fascinating larger image)
There were a few that I liked - well actually I liked all those pictured which is why I drew them- but I thought the easiest one that adapted best to the medium was simply the striped one in the lower left corner. I have noted there that the orange is really more yellow :).
This page contains a picture of both the caterpillar and the moth it grows into. You should look. Stripey bugs are cute.
I have in fact finished the bustle, but am writing it up in three parts. It doesn't really look much like any of these resources ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction