Refurbished Acorn Bag

This is another post from a craft from ages back - from May 2016 in fact.

I like to fix and refurbish things. I like to see how they change over time, and I like to see what they're like when they're fixed, and how long they last, and all sorts of things like that. It's something that can only happen over a period of years, and softly. There's literally no other way to experience something aging and wearing than to use it and to wait.

I think that nowadays we seldom get to experience this because a lot of stuff - although it becomes old and worn out - was not nice enough and of good enough quality originally to be worth reworking. So we end up with rubbish instead.

I orginally made this back for G, and he uses it to carry a book to read when we go out to cafes and such. It was getting holes in the back and in the straps. So I took it apart and gave it a new back and new reinforcement at the bottom (out of the same original fabric). I kept the front and the flap. I hate making straps, so I just folded them so that the most broken part was hidden. It would have only been a bit more work to make a whole new one, but that's not nearly as interesting.

The new bag, front view:


The new bag, back view, and the old pieces:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction