Poor Posting & Magic Man

I did not write a post yesterday. So I have to write two today. In case I do not have the inclination to write two, I'm writing this not very good one now. Actually - I really wanted to post some more photos today (I have a large back-log) - but I am working 7AM until 5PM! :O That would be 0700 to 1700 which is clearly ten hours (one of the advantages of 24 hour time is it makes the arithmetic simpler). Since my job is to help people in the lecture theatres, if they don't need any help I don't do much, so I will probably have the time to post something, the problem is thinking of it. I doubt much will happen today, although I have spent 45 minutes checking the rooms and getting a door unlocked and standing around looking at people.
I was momentarily thrown by the fact that one of the people setting up is the magician that did the (mostly) for children magic show in Oamaru during the Victorian fair; we watched it once and then I liked it so much we had to stay around for his second show so I could see it again.
We saw him somewhere else a few months later, and I watched my favourite trick again, which involves 3 lengths of rope that (apparently) change length. Part of the reason I like it is that it is very obvious (to me) how each part is done, but it is fun to work out exactly how he is doing it. That seems like it doesn't exaclty make sense, but think of it like maths or a puzzle like sudoku, you know how to do arithmetic/sudoku, but that's not the same as knowing the answer; you still have to aply the rules to solve it, it's just that you know how to solve it. Another favourite one is where he opens a book and there is a can of beer/coke inside. Cans are not flat, so how is it in the book, which is narrower than the can? If we assume he can't ACTUALLY do magic, then there must be a trick, a simple trick, but it looks so perfectly impossible.
So we have the easy to understand, and the impossible to understand. The other tricks are somewhere between, so not quite as fascinating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction