As it Rains....

As it rains, I wonder whether I would be better off in 15th Century (European) clothing, or not.
As I sit here with my butt and lower legs of my trousers still wet 2 hours after coming out of the rain, I consider that a shift, petticoat and dress, of linen, wool and wool, would no doubt have stopped the water soaking through to my skin. In "the past" it was sometime acceptable to take off "dresses" or gowns and sit around in petticoats and whatever else was worn on the top half, so I could be doing that whilst drying my dress. Of course I would have had a long woollen cloak over the top too. I'm not sure if they were lined or not.
In any case, I'd like to make some common woman's clothing from anywhere in the 15th to 18th centuries and see what it is like wearing only linen and wool. One definite advantage is the multiple layers on the top AND bottom halves, instead of only a skirt or trousers covering your legs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction