Angel Robe

I made this last year, it was going to be part of a Halloween costume of this character in a book I was reading, but I never did the rest of the costume. The shape of the robe is from a 14th century (I think) item of clothing.

This is the fabric, and essentially the pattern. It is cut on the fold, just one piece of fabric. The fabric is linen, and was white with the green embroidery, but I dyed it.

The headhole and neckline is done like so: the shape sewn below is sewn onto the outside along the lines marked on it, then cut inside the lines and folded to the inside and sewn down. The hem of the "sleeves" is done by sewing a strip of fabric on the right-side, then folding to the inside and sewing it down.


I sewed (by hand) a shape of a kind of lacy wool fabric over the shoulders, for decoration, because wool is awesome, and to make the shoulders water resistant to a light shower (the water drops would sit on the surface). The character was a forest dweller of a fantasy past, so the thing was supposed to have consideration of practical issues.



A few people commented that it was a "nice summer dress" and seemed to like it. I had been wondering whether it was too weird to wear, because I thought of it as a "robe" and people don't really wear robes anymore, so I was kind of confused when people referred to it as a dress, but I guess it makes sense, although I can't see it as a dress.

Comments

thursdays child said…
I'm a bit late to the party - but that is definitely something many would wear as a dress. I could see many options if the 'sleeve part' was separated and flared.

Nice work again.

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction