Belated Christmas Post 3 - Presenty Stuff

Random pics of things I made or liked or whatever...

It seemed like a good idea to follow the inspiration in the Spotlight catalogue and make food covers out of mosquito net with fabric around the edge as a presnet for my Mum. However, I discovered I don't really understand about getting a wide fabric border around a corner, and it was a total mess and really annoying. I wanted to sew one edge on, then fold it over and sew the other edge down on the other side like you can do with bias binding (as this seemed like it would be like a giant binding, essentially), but out of 4 sewing books, only one gave instructions for this kind of thing and those instructions were more-or-less "when you reach the corner, leave enough fabric to mitre it" and then when sewing down the other side "mitre the corner" - ok, not very specific there. I had the most success folding it in half first and sewing down both edges at once, and just messing with the corners when I got to them, with varying success.
The 3 covers:
Close-up of the different corners/fabric:

In any case though, they've been used several times now at bbqs at my parent's house - they were a pain to make, but they work, so that's ok.

I just liked the way I wrapped this bottle - corrugated cardboard is, ummm, great:

This present we got for my brother was awesome. I got it from Trade Aid, and it is a briefcase made out of uncut fizzy drink bottle tops. Presumably there was some flaw with these sheets; normally they chuck them out but here they have recycled them into these sturdy cases:


I recently bought some cool fabric with maps on (includes both NZ and Antarctica, which is unusual and more unusual for a decorative, or even functional, map). And so it was lying around handily when I wanted to make a wee pouch as part of a gift of a cheap poker set, to put the chips in once you take them out of their plastic packaging. It's lined with fair trade calico scraps from making the bags, and I just really like it for some reason. I think it's part of the appeal of this calico, which is just so lovely.
Once you pull the ribbon to close it, it stays closed by itself without having to tie the ribbon, which is handy.
It has no exposed fabric edges but the method I used is simpler than lining it normally. It is made by sewing two rectangles right-sides together around the edges, leaving a space to turn it inside-out - which you then do. Then you iron it nicely and sew the sides together, leaving the sealed edges visible on the outside - this is like if you were sewing leather as you wouldn't have to worry about fraying or ugly edges there either. Leave the seam unsewn a bit at the top so that you can fold down the top edges to make the channels for the ribbon. You don't need to sew up that hole you left for turning it inside-out as the side seam closes it.
I reckon the resulting construction details - different coloured band at top, exposed stitch lines and sealed edges - are attractive and interesting without being forced decoration.
For some reason, I included the large plastic needle I used to thread the ribbon through with in one photo, I guess because I was so excited to have a practical way of threading the ribbon instead of an annoying, time-consuming way that doesn't work very well, like usual.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction