Kete Satchel for K

This is a kete I made last year for my brother during a course that I took. 
The harakeke (NZ flax) used had been found in the classroom somewhat worse for wear, a bit over-processed in some places, etc. It has a much greater colour variation than the harakeke we had harvested for the class so I think someone brought it in themselves. No one claimed it so I used some to learn to make a four corner kete. I had seen someone else do a flap at the top of one of theirs, so I made up a way to do that on mine to create a satchel.
The strap used some harakeke that I had and some dyed blue stuff someone else had left over which was a good colour to match the lining I already had planned to use. So it was very serendipitous.
The toggles are made from pieces of apple wood from a tree in the garden I had to prune quite severely. I cut little pieces of the branch with the bark still on, and carved out a bit of the wood around the middle to the tie attaching the toggle to the bag wouldn't slip, then I oiled it with some kind of oil we have for protecting chopping boards and such.
The ties for the toggles are made from some other dyed salvaged harakeke I got from someone else in the class that had been left too damp for too long which also weakened and damaged it, but it is strong enough when you plait it together.
It has a little pocket inside. This picture shows the pocket and half the lining. I decided to go to the effort of actually cutting a lining that would make a 3D shape like the bag, rather than just using a flat envelope-like lining.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction