Blue and Yellow Victorian Dress, the Jacket, Draping

Is it part 1? Or part 2? Or 3? I can't remember if I wrote about it before.

In any case, I was going to take pictures of the draping of the jacket. But, I only ended up taking two pictures, one of the back and one of the front.
Draping is where you get a piece of material, and lay it over the dress dummy or whatever, and then make the pattern by drawing lines on it and cutting it where you need to to get the shape you want.
Here are my pictures.


I did the back first, first the centre back piece, then the one to the side of it, then the one to the side of that. With each piece, I pinned the material on and drew lines where I wanted it to stop, or where it connected to another piece, or where it would need to be cut in order to make it lie flat.
The front piece came after, but I did actually then change it completely later.
The black lines are the seam allowance lines, waist line, darts, and where to cut for the lower edge, the cut out front, etc.
The problem is that although it may fit the mannequin very nicely, you have to modify it still to fit you. This may not be too hard, but in the case of the front I couldn't work out how to do it, so then draped it a different way instead which worked better and was more easily modifiable.
I spent about a week making a mockup and then trying it on and modifying the pattern and making a mockup and trying it on, etc. It was rather annoying. Much easier to just have a pattern to start with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polish Jacket, Zupan, The Second Post

Polish Jacket, The First Post

Zupan, Post 3 - Construction